Sunday, October 10, 2004

Crying in Chaos

Saturday began with sad goodbyes to our favorite girl - Nica.

After a tough couple of weeks, we decided it was time to give in and let her go. The weather turned stormy this weekend - grey and weeping rain - as if the world was sharing in our loss. It has provided the perfect excuse for staying indoors, unshaven and in bed - mourning and feeling vulnerable.

In tribute: I don't think I have ever known a more loving companion. I chose her to help me not feel so alone in my life. And ... she did a tremendous job at keeping me company and grounded. She put up with us, our other pets - both the old and the new additions, our friends (yes, some of them old and others new), and our inability to stay put in one place in Dallas - as we moved a couple of times. Though I must add - I don't think she ever forgave us for the stay of several months at 'tooth acres' during our last move.

Those who knew her will agree that she had the most 'regal' style about her. Whether sitting or laying with her legs crossed in front of her - she always had a distinguished look about her. Of course, she lost all signs of dignity when an inviting 'crotch' was available - friend or stranger - it made no difference.

Goodbye girl, our Nica - we will miss you.


No comments: