Thursday, January 01, 2009

Pinacotheque

The Pinacotheque De Paris makes for an interesting exhibit space near the Madeleine just north of the Place De La Concorde (home to the 3,300 year old Egyptian obelisk). I am not sure how much I like it. This was my first time to visit the museum and view its temporary exhibitions. We toured both the Jack Pollock and Georges Rouault. I had a terrible time in buying these tickets online and never did receive the confirmation. I also never heard any response to my emails from the museum. That said – they did have my reservations and quickly processed us through the door.

The Pollock exhibit was of his very early (and less popular) work. I had done my research and reading before seeing the show – my traveling colleagues had not and were somewhat disappointed. The show focuses on Pollock interest in the supernatural and Shamanism. If you love his drips and dribbles work – you might not enjoy this work as much. It is completely different and much more severe. The show is also riddled with American Indian artifacts – which many times out shined the artist’s own works. The Pinacotheque has a unique maze-like space for showing his works. I think it enhanced the experience but I am a little conflicted in my feelings. At the end of the exhibit you senses are treated to a couple of more familiar Pollock works! Just in time to send you out the door with a more favorable experience. No audio guide at the Pinacotheque or English titling makes viewing this show more difficult and less informative – meaning do you homework before you arrive.

The Georges Rouault exhibition was a completely surprising and favorable experience. The exhibit is made up of a private collection of Rouault’s works which have only been shown together one other time in 1990. Rouault became incredibly (and surprising) popular in Japan. Luckily – his works were purchased by a wealthy businessman who has agreed to keep the collection together. If you don’t know much about Rouault - take a few minutes to get acquainted with his works. I really enjoyed learning about the artist and seeing is work. While no audio guide is available for this show at the Pinacotheque – English subtitles are provided on each major section of the exhibit which makes for a good learning experience even if you don’t know anything about the artist.

No comments: