Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Italy - Day Fifteen



Arrivederci Isola di Procida! Farewell to my home for the past fifteen days in Italy. I sought out a 'lost in time' place to spend the first part of my vacation. Procida was perfect.

She is picture-perfect and her people are kind. I would have been hard pressed to have chosen a better location. Like a prodigal son - someday I will return to her hoping to relive my fond memories of my stay here.

Today we end the 'rest and relaxation' portion of the trip and are preparing for an entirely different experience. We travel to Napoli. Our single purpose for this visit is to establish a base for our tour to the ancient cities of Pompeii and Herculaneum.

In Napoli - we have added the Duomo and several churches located in the Spaccanapoli district near our hotel. The Duomo in Napoli is not to be missed. It is jaw dropping. Next door is the Museo del tesoro di San Gennaro and its collection of outrageous collection of diamond studded religious objects.

collana-le-10-meraviglie.jpg


Spaccanapoli is the old city center. It is densely populated, dark and filled with alleyways. Our hope to visit the Museo Archeologico Nazionale is quashed when we discover its closure on Tuesday's.

The streets are filled with shops and vendors. Not to be missed is via S. Gregorio Armeno where hundreds of shopkeepers sell Nativity scenes and miniatures.

Our last minute web research discovered a authentic Neapolitan pizzeria within a few blocks of our hotel. Gino Sobillo on via Tribunali (32) is very good and cheap. A margherita pizza (cheese, sauce and basil) was 3.30 Euros and draped over the edges of my plate.

My mind, my eyes and my stomach are overflowing. I slip into my well equipped bedroom at the Hotel Palazzo Decumani to rest and prepare for tomorrow's treat.

No comments: