Monday, May 23, 2011

Italy - Day Fourteen

Our trip to Isola di Procida is almost over.

The timing could not be better. Overcast skies make the spiaggia less tempting. Fewer and fewer people dot the beach. I too have abandoned my mistress.

The cool winds from early May have all but died away and temperatures are starting to rise. Sunday's showers have gone leaving behind a curtain of humidity to thicken the air. Cool weather artichokes have given way to summer squash at the market.

Our season is done too.

My mind is wandering. It is preparing for the shock of Napoli. Few places could be more polar opposite than Procida and Napoli. It is exciting.

We caught a brief glimpse of Napoli during our travels to Procida. She is wild, loud, seductive and threatening. Heavy eye shadow, ruby red lipstick and skimpy clothing - she is dressed to kill (literally).

Like a wide-eyed adolescent, I dream of her. Naughty. Seductive. Dangerous. She is MTV and very Italian.

Instead of resisting her - I forget my current love of Procida and drift into deep in thought of my next adventure. I justify my action - after all it is only for two days. A brief affair.

Procida is the one that you should marry. Napoli is the one that you want to marry.

Ah - the 'Italian Way' becomes more and more understandable.

No comments: